Sunday, April 12, 2009

Night on Monkey Mountain Redux

3 comments:

G. Foreman said...

You did it. You got one of your films produced, directed, and made. And while I didn't originally imagine Night on Monkey Mountain to be a cartoon, upon witnessing the spectacle, you've made me a believer. And I'm not just talking about Christ here, though he is my savior. I'm talking about how now, I can't even imagine night on Monkey Mountain as anything other than what you've offered here. The medium has defined NoMM, just as NoMM has defined the medium.

On a related note, how much do you feel people would pay to see this? As I can testify, it's good. It's very good. It might be great. However, those that haven't already seen it may be less willing to pay 10 dollars for what essentially amounts to 2 minutes of cinema (albeit cinema of high quality and caliber).

Then again, if the product is known to be worth it, people will pay, ie, designer flip-flops costing 1053 dollars (estimated). And the great thing about this being a shorter film is that there is simpatico no denying the symbolism. It hits you in the face and then you're left there stunned, absorbing it all just as the credits start rolling.

When the monkeys attack the couple, ie - Capitalism attacks the public - what can people do except ie, hope the attack wasn't serious and that the monkey goes away without any further problems? Well, they can argue and get tense because monkeys (double capitalism) are stressful. It's just a system where the rich get richer, and peoples egos inflate and inflate until we're left with the oversized heads seen in your capitalism documentary.

Quick question: what did the jaguars represent? My wife says large corporations, but I lean towards the Euro.

In any case, well done!

Paul Ries said...

You know, I've watched a lot of movies.

Pat said...

I didn't know Cullen got back into acting.