Monday, October 20, 2014

SUPERFLIP

Open on New York City. Burning in the darkness like a bonfire.  Thumpin' and pumpin' through the night like a neon nightmare.  Desperate poverty. Murders everywhere. A store that just sells M and M's.

A dark alley. A young woman strides nervously down the cobblestones.

From behind a dumpster stride three punk youths, wearing the green bandanas around their upper thighs that signify that they are definitely in a gang of some kind. They surround the young woman menacingly.

YOUTH 1: Yo lady where ya going???

YOUTH 2: Watcha got there, a purse?!

She looks startled.

WOMAN: I don't want any trouble.

YOUTH 3: Looks like you're carrying a Burberry Medium House Check Leather Tote bag.

Youth 1 steps forward, eyeing the purse.  He is clearly the leader of this group.

YOUTH 1: That's a nice bag you got there. Retails at something like $1,400, doesn't it?

YOUTH 2: $1,395 plus tax, if you buy it at Bergdorf-Goodman's.

WOMAN: Do you want to buy it from me?

Youth 1 laughs callously. He's got a deadly glint in his eye.

YOUTH 1: Not for $1,400 I don't.

WOMAN: I only bought it two weeks ago and I've barely used it.

YOUTH 1: I'll give you $800.

WOMAN (Scared): I don't think I could go lower than $1200. I paid full price and it's basically as good as new.  I'd return it but I lost the receipt and I don't want to get store credit.

YOUTH 1: $900.  You said yourself it's used.

WOMAN (Incredibly Terrified): Sorry, but that won't work.

YOUTH 1: Eh... Not interested then. Thanks though.

The woman screams!!!! The gang-affiliated youths look around, scared.

YOUTH 2: C'mon, let's get out of here! To the Underneath!

Youth 3 stops. He hears something!

YOUTH 3: Shhhhh!!

Staring down the dark alley, they hear a sound...

Sound Effect: FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP.

YOUTH 1: What the hell??

A shape emerges from the darkness.  It's hard to make out-- it's moving so fast and changing shape so quickly, and it's moving between various obstacles in the shadowful alley. But's its definitely getting closer!

Sound Effect: FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP

The youths are scared.  Suddenly the black shape starts moving directly toward them.

YOUTH 3: It's some sort of flipping thing!

YOUTH 2: SHOOT IT!

The youths fire their big gats at the flipping shape, but it's is moving too fast and flipping too much for any of their bullets to hit it.  And soon the flipping thing is upon them! As it attacks the youths, we begin to see that the rapidly flipping shape is a man, clad in black, rapidly back-flipping like a champ.

Sound Effect: FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP FWIP.

Hands and feet flash out of the incredibly gymnastic flipping man.




Soon, all of the youths are disabled for life. The flipping slows and the full form of a tall, athletic man emerges from the flip shape. His face is masked, but his sexy yellow eyes look down on the young woman kindly.

MAN: Are you alright?

WOMAN: You saved me! In a way.

MAN: You're welcome.

WOMAN: But who are you?

MAN: I care only for justice. I have no need for a name.

WOMAN: How about Superflip?

MAN: That works!

1 comment:

futron3049 said...

this is a great start, and here's the "but" BUT, kids today need hero's who have more gravitas and more heroic qualities. A guy who does lots of flips is perfect for today's American culture, and here's another "but", BUT he needs to reflect our current time. Wearing all black is great and its really cool, get ready for another "but", BUT all black is totally late 90's xmen territory, heck, even spiderman did the all black thing already.

These things are all easily fixable, get ready for another "but", BUT you are going to have to get with the times.

Make the guy gay, have him wear grey or navy blue, you know what's coming next, BUT change his name to something much more terrifying and inspirational.

Call him "THE Superflip"