Tuesday, November 08, 2011

24 karats! A new screenplay by me


Jake is a man who is completely ordinary. He has ordinary friends, an ordinary job, and an ordinary life. Indeed, the only thing that is not ordinary about Jake is that he bleeds 24k liquid gold. Today is the day that he finds out.

Jake: Ouch!

(a gold shining ooze drips from Jake's arm)

Heather: You okay, honey? Did you cut yourself?

Jake: I guess so. I'm 30 years old and I've never done that before.

Heather: Well you'll be okay. It'll heal. It is no 'biggie.'

Jake: Yeah, it just stings a little. So this is what bleeding is like? But...but I thought it was red!

Heather: It is, honey. It is. What color is yours?

Jake: It's the color of pure gold.
I hope I'm not sick!

Heather: I'm sure you're fine. You probably just got something on you.

(a man in a grey trenchcoat, a fedora, and dark sunglasses watches intently, hidden in the shadows of Jake and Heather's home)

Jake: No, I'm definitely bleeding this. And this is real gold, Heather! I'm bleeding gold!

Heather: Well were you eating gold earlier?

Jake: Come on, honey. No. This must be a natural. I'm worth billions!

(The man in the trenchcoat emerges)

Man in Trenchcoat: Indeed.

(Man in trenchcoat throws a vial to the floor, filling the room with smoke. There is the sound of glass breaking, and when the smoke clears, we see the kitchen window is broken and the man in the trenchcoat is trying to climb through the window but there is still a lot of sharp broken glass. Jake tries to grab him, but the man escapes and runs away through their yard.)

Jake: Of course! I should have realized. It's because I'm priceless. Every government is going to want to harvest my blood gold!

Heather: Be careful what you wish for.

Jake: Yes. A blessing has turned into a curse.

Heather: It is the monkey's paw.

Jake: It's so strange. Because while it sounds good to have an endless supply of gold, in the end it's dangerous awful.

Heather: Your dream has turned into a nightmare.

Jake: My deepest desire has become my worst regret.

Heather: The sunrise, so promising, has become a sunset, so disheartening.

Jake: I'm bleeding gold!

Heather: We have to get out of here! Quick, grab your wallet and run!

Jake: We don't need my wallet. We're paying in gold.

4 comments:

Mortimer said...

Hello Stephen,

I think you know what I'm going to say here: this screenplay isn't yours, and in fact it was originally written by old commenter Blake the Snake, who later went on to write such screenplays as W3arwolfed, Don't Go Jumpin' on H3arts (co-author), and Lov3 is D3ath 2.

This screenplay, which I believe had the working title of "Gold Blood3d," was one he wrote in 2007, and he posted it as a comment on a number of screenwriting blogs saying that he was looking for "maybe some feedback, help, or hopefully even some notice from a major studio."

Apparently this worked, as it is my understanding Gold Blood3d was purchased by Fox Searchlight in 2010 for $750,000 (congrats, Blake!).

Stephen, this really saddens me. Everybody has their low points - points where a person needs help getting back on their feet. But when someone with as much talent as you have stoops to blatantly stealing content from others, others who were merely looking for your help, it weighs heavy on my soul. You're better than that. One of the best I've ever seen (scene).

It's rough, I get it. But you know what I do when I'm feeling low and tempted to take credit for the work of others? I ask myself, "What would a Disney hero do?" Maybe you don't like the marketing juggernaut that Disney has become, and maybe you're not a fan of "The Mouse," but you simply cannot deny the integrity found in the moral compass of all great Disney heroes. I'm talking about Aurora (Sleeping Beauty). I'm talking about Snow White. I'm talking about Leelu and Simba and Ariel and Aladdin and Woody and the list goes on. Do you think a single one of these characters would take another person's screenplay - even if they commented on their blog? I'm here to tell you they wouldn't. You've had a moment of weakness, Stephen. Admit it, rise from it, and learn from it.

Steeb said...

This screenplay is mine. IF your story is EVEN REMOTELY TRUE, Blake the Snake must have reverse-copied it from my genius brain somehow. I assure you he will be hearing from a lawyer I will hire. Perhaps two lawyers.

On another note, I don't appreciate how you stole the names of famous disney characters while making your comment. Perhaps those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at themselves.

Because if they do, their glass houses will come crashing down on them.

And cut them.

To Ribbons.

Blue Ribbons.

Of Plagiarism.

Like you are wearing right now. Please don't infect my blog with stolen ideas. I don't normally do this, but:

Mortimer YOU ARE BANNED.

WillSetUFree said...

WTF Stephen?

Mortimer was just trying to tell the truth and now you've silenced him? I check back on your 2007 posts, and sure enough Blake the Snake wrote that screenplay EXACTLY as a comment on your screenplay "Some Call it Vengeance." He called you out and in a nicer way than I would have. I would do it like this:

You are a thief, you're a thief, U a Thief!

I'm a long time reader, but first time commenter. I cannot begin to express my surprise, disappointment, hunger, and shock I felt when I saw what Stephen has been doing. How many other screenplays has Stephen stolen.
If you're a reader of this blog, I urge you to let Stephen know that this is NOT okay. Tell him to stop stealing content and tell him to let Mortimer speak!

Steeb said...

WillsetUFree: BANNED! FOR LIFE!

Anyone who believes I would copy anyone's ideas but my own is stone cold crazy. And we don't have room for craziness on SGSP. Our work is too important.

Stephen