Sunday, November 26, 2006

INDIE ROCK: The movie



THE SHORT STOP BAR-- ext. night.

Fade up on The Short Stop in Echo Park. A line of skinny men in tight pants and faux-vintage t-shirts waiting desperately for entrance into this, the hottest hipster bar in LA's hottest neighborhood. The yellow streetlights and the neon from the Luck Joy down the street make their black hair look even more interesting.

The door to the Short Stop slams open. A man emerges. Zoom in on his face, and he's instantly recognizable as Alec Ounsworth, lead singer of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. He looks pissed. We cut to a man in line-- in this closeup shot we realize that the man in line is none other than Sam Perry from Architecture in Helsinki, concealed beneath an elaborate black wig, giant sunglasses, and false chinstrap beard. He's in disguise to avoid being hassled by fanboys.

SAM PERRY
Oi! Alec! Why're you looking so pissed?

ALEC (lighting a rag stuffed into a bottle of Vodka)
Because I am pissed, Perry! So fuck off!

As Alec finishes his sentence he hurls the flaming bottle back through the open door of the Short Stop. Then he runs up the street.

Close up on the growing fire. People storm out of the bar, leaping over growing flames. There's general panic and confusion, until KELE OKEREKE, handsome guitar and vocals from Bloc Party, comes into frame-- he's covered in soot and he's got a fire extinguisher in one hand and the unconcious body of Kim Deal from the Pixies and later the Breeders in the other. In seconds he's got the fire out and Kim Deal flat on the sidewalk. Kim looks dead.

KELE
Kim.... Kim... wake up.

Kele grabs her head and looks into her closed eyes.

KELE
Kim-- you've got to wake up. I love you.

Nothing. Then suddenly Kim coughs and sputters. Her eyes open.

KELE
Thank god.

KIM
Kele. What happened?

KELE
Nothing, Kim... I'm glad you're alright.

Kele helps Kim up and nods at a nearby paramedic (perfect opportunity for Tom Waits cameo), who comes over and leads her into an ambulance. Kele calls out to Perry.

KELE
Perry-- did you see anything?

SAM PERRY
Yeah. I saw Ounsworth.

KELE
Bastard.

A green '76 Datsun B210 roars up the street and screeches to a halt in front of the two. From it emerges the lanky and precocious Sufjan Stevens, draped in fur and gold.

SUFJAN
I came as soon as I heard. Is there anything I can do?

KELE
Yeah—you can call everyone together. We’ve got to do something about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

Close on Sufjan’s serious face. He nods.

SUFJAN
I’m all over it. You want me to get Meloy involved?

KELE
Keep the Decemberists out of things for once. I’ve had enough of their meddling.

SUFJAN
Right.

KELE
I’ll take the heat if he wises up.

SUFJAN
I hoped you’d say that. Okay, peace.

SUFJAN gets back in his car and drives away.


EXT./ INT SUFJAN STEVEN’S HOUSE—night.
Sufjan walks up to his front door in the hills of Silverlake. He’s on his cell phone.

SUFJAN
Yo Coyne. You in Los Angeles? Good. Okereke wants to see you—he wants to see everybody, tomorrow.

Sufjan opens his door and walks inside. He tries to turn on the lights but they don’t work.

SUFJAN (cont.)
No. You’re the first person I called. It’s about—

A long thin knife and a long thin arm emerge from the darkness. The arm reaches arounds Sufjan’s head, the knife point digs into Sufjan’s throat. From the darkness a whisper:

VOICE
Hang up the phone, Sufjan.

SUFJAN
I’ll call you right back, Wayne.

He closes his phone.

VOICE
Good boy.

SUFJAN
Ounsworth?

VOICE
He wishes.

SUFJAN
Oberst. I’d recognize that arrogance anywhere.

Sufjan steps forward, pulling the man standing behind him into the light. Reveal it is indeed Conor Oberst, a cruel smirk twisting his mouth and with a sickening gleam in his eyes.

OBERST
Yeah? Well I’d recognize your bullshit brand of state-themed folk-pop anywhere.

SUFJAN
Big talk from the man with the knife at my throat. There a reason for that, by the way?

OBERST
I wouldn’t need a reason to slit your throat, Stevens. But right now I’m only here to deliver a message. Stay clear from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

SUFJAN
Says who?

OBERST
That’s for me to know and you to get killed if you ever find out. Got it?

SUFJAN
Yeah, I got it. Kele’s gonna hear about this, you realize.

OBERST
I expect him to. If he knows what’s good for him he’ll listen good and let the cops handle Ounsworth.

SUFJAN (derisively)
The cops!

OBERST
That’s right, the cops. You know, that’s how the law's supposed to work.

SUFJAN
Is it? I must a missed that day in growing up class.

OBERST
Har Har, Stevens.

SUFJAN
Har yourself, Bright Eyes!

Sufjan suddenly drops to his knees, leaving Oberst empty handed. Sufjan stands up, blocks Oberst’s knife thrust with one arm and punches Oberst across the face with the other. Oberst drops like a rock.

SUFJAN
A three star pussy-- I can't say I'm surprised. Now let’s see what’s in your wallet, farm boy.


[That's it so far, except in act three Jeff Magnum from NMH shoots both Belle and Sebastian in the knees to get them to talk. intrigued or turned off? What do you think?]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Untitled Sci-Fi Romance

Opening:

Being 1: So they cannot see us?

Being 2: No. Their experiences are limited to only 4 dimensions. As we exist in the 8th dimension, we are outside their perceptual plane. We are "Outsiders."

Being 1: I understand. They are ideal for observation. Tell me, what are they called?

Being 2: They are called "mankind." Watch them well and learn from their mistakes, for it is only through them that you may find the key to entering the 9th dimension.

Being 1: I shall indeed watch them closely. Tell me, Being 2, what is the 9th dimension like? Is it really worth all this trouble?

Being 2: Yes, it is most definitely worth the trouble. It is hard to describe the 9th dimension, Being 1. When I first entered it, I found it confusing; the beauty was simply too much to take. Then, as my senses adjustedSuddenly, the 5th and 7th dimensions made so much sense. For a long time I was lost in the wonder of it all.

Being 1: I long for that. I yearn to see it, I yearn for it to bring me the focus it has brought you.

Being 2: As you should. Being 1, I must leave you now. Our customs forbid teamwork during this process. Also, I confess I find just 8 dimensions cold and incomplete now. Do not worry though. I know you shall soon join me.

Being 1: Thank you for believing in me. Is there any advice you can give me before you go?

Being 2: Yes. And listen closely, Being 1, for this is of utmost importance. Do not fall in love.

Being 1: Love?

Being 2: I galfork you never understand what that word means, Being 1.

Being 1: Then I shall do my best never to learn.

Being 2: Goodbye, Being 1.

Being 1: Goodbye.

(Being 2 flickers and disappears)

(View widens and it is shown that Being 1 is standing outside Mann's Chinese Theater in Los Angeles. Across the street is a woman of the night. Being 1 walks over to her)

Prostitute: Hiya Honey! Lookin for a dirty poke?

Being 1: What?! You can see me?!

Prostitute: Of course I can see you. You're right there, aintcha? So how bout it? You wanna see me? You wanna see all of me?

Being 1: I don't understand...

Prostitute: I guess it is kinda strange, me bein able to see you. Normally when I shoot up so much junk I can't see nothin 'cept clouds and sparkles.

Voice of Being 2 in Being 1's head: Do not fall in love.

Steeb said...

That's solid work, Andy, except my gut tells me it's just going to be another Wings of Desire ripof exept with Aliens instead of Angels and LA prossies instead of German Trapeze artists. And no Peter falk.

I feel like you need to cut out the whole Mann's chinese part of the equation and just focus on Two Aliens talking about bullshit for a long time instead.

Anonymous said...

Hey Stephen. I'm sorry. While I had heard the movie title "Wings of Desire," I had no idea what it was about. I admit it's too similar to my idea and that it shouldn't be made. I want to show Hollywood that I've got original ideas. Here's another stab at it.

Scientist: What? No. This can't be right. Check your figures again. That's crazy.

Intern: I've checked them and double checked them. I know, I couldn't believe it either, but it's true. I had Dr. Emdy verify it too. We're both stunned.

Scientist: No, look here, you forgot to...wait...no...that's right. This whole thing is right!

Intern: That's what I've been trying to tell you. I've checked it at least a hundred times.

Scientist: People aren't going to know how to take this.

Intern: Tell me about it. I don't know how to take this either!

Scientist: So all this time...

Intern: ...yeah.

Scientist: ...all this time Earth, the very planet we live on, is concious and alive.

Intern: Yes. It's just like you and me. But it is much bigger, much older.

Scientist: I see... So...what is it thinking? How does it feel about us and all the creatures that live on it?

Intern: The tests have shown that it isn't really aware of us.

Scientist: What?

Intern: It doesn't know about us. We're simply too minute in the big scheme of things. Everything mankind has done is just a flick in Earth's time. We're like a pimple it doesn't know it has.

Scientist: Is that incredible or what?

Intern: It is. But there's something else, sir.

Scientist: What?

Intern: The tests show that Earth is sad. It's actually in a very severe depression.

Scientist: But why?! It's Earth! What does it have to be sad about?!

Intern: Well, the tests can't conclusively tell us that sir, but...well...the evidence points to the fact that Earth is very, very lonely.

Scientist: Planets don't get lonely!

Intern: Sir, if I may, just five minutes ago you would have told me that planets can't feel either.

Scientist: True. Everything is turned upside down now, isn't it?

Intern: Science has a way of doing that.

Scientist: So what do we do? How can we fix it?

Intern: Well...and this is speculation only, sir, but...I think....I think we have to find Earth a girlfriend.

Scientist: I don't even know how we'd begin to do that.

Intern: I know. I know it sounds impossible. But if Earth can't continue to live like this. It's too sad!

Scientist: Then we have to do it. We must do the impossible. All of our lives depend on it!

Anonymous said...

Have at Heaven

Opens with the following words: The world is losing its faith. Nobody believes THE BIBLE and science is replacing the alluring mystery of the holy trinity.

Scene: A dark alley in L.A. A homeless man, Ernesto, is sitting there drinking a beer. Suddenly, a bright light shines on him from the sky.

Heavenly Voice: ERNESTO!

Ernesto: What?! What was that!

Heavenly Voice: Ernesto, it is Gabriel (Gabe) of Heaven. I have a message for you.

Ernesto: What? Hey T-bone, is that you?

Heavenly Voice: HEAR ME, ERNESTO, AND LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY! I KNOW NOT OF T-BONE. IT IS GABE OF HEAVEN, MESSENGER OF HE WHO IS I AM.

Ernesto: Is this real? I mean - is this real?!

Heavenly Voice: YES IT IS VERY REAL. YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN AS A PROPHET.

Ernesto: Me?

Heavenly Voice: YES, ERNESTO. THE LORD HAS DEEMED YOU WORTHY.

Ernesto: If I am worthy, pray tell me! What message do you have for me?

Heavenly Voice: ERNESTO, THE WORLD IS LOSING ITS WAY. THEY WORSHIP THE GOLDEN IDOL OF TELEVISION AND HOLLYWOOD. THEY WORSHIP THE GOLDEN IDOL OF CURRENCY AND GREED. THEY DO NOT REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE LOSING.

Ernesto: Tell me, Gabe! What are they losing.

Heavenly Voice: THEY ARE LOSING THEIR PLACE IN HEAVEN, ERNESTO. THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW GREAT IT IS.

Ernesto: What can I do to tell them, Gabe? Direct me, and I will obey!

Heavenly Voice: YOU WILL NOT DIRECT THEM, ERNESTO. YOU WILL SHOW THEM. FOR GOD IS GOING TO PUT HEAVEN ON EARTH, THOUGH JUST FOR ABOUT A MONTH.

Ernesto: What? I do not understand.

Heavenly Voice: HEAVEN WILL EXIST IN LORDSBURG, NEW MEXICO FOR A MONTH OR SO. SONS OF ADAM AND DAUGHTERS OF EVE MAY VISIT THERE AND EXPERIENCE THE ULTIMATE JOY THAT HEAVEN PROVIDES. THE LORD GOD BELIEVES THAT THIS SLIVER OF HEAVEN WILL BE ENOUGH TO INSPIRE A LIFE OF MORALITY, PENITENCE, AND FAITH. BECAUSE LATER, IF THEY DO THIS, MANKIND CAN PROBABLY ENTER HEAVEN ON A PERMANENT BASIS.

Earnesto: Yes, I see. It is so brilliant, as is the light of God.

Heavenly Voice: YES. AMEN.

Earnesto: When, oh Gabriel, when will Heaven come to Lordsburg New Mexico.

Heavenly Voice: THE DAY YOU ARRIVE. SO TELL THE WORLD, ERNESTO. TELL THEM OF THE GLORIOUSNESS AT THEIR FINGERTIPS.

Ernesto: I will. Thank you, Gabe, for coming to me. Please give thanks to God for me and tell him I'm sorry about that thing I did.

Heavenly Voice: I will. Blessed art thou, Ernesto.

Ernesto: Thank you. You too.

Heavenly light fades and Ernesto is alone.

Ernesto: Heaven on Earth. Wow. Until now, that was just an expression! I...I wonder how the world will react. I wonder how they'll handle Heaven. And...and I wonder what will happen when Heaven is taken away...

Anonymous said...

Pig's Can't Fly...Can they?

Bubbly the Pig: Why, look at all dem dere birds up in da sky!

Nella the Sheep: Bubbly, those are birds! That's what they do!

Bubbly: Why, I's wants ta do dat too...

Nella: Well you can't, Bubbly! You're a pig!

Bubbly: Aww, tweren't nobody ken tell me what I can n' cain't do... Listen up, y'all! I's is a gonna fly!

Nella: Oh Bubbly....

Bubbly: I represent freedom.

LATER

Nella: Oh Bubbly, those wings will never work! You should have used feathers and twine, not cardboard and gasoline.

Bubbly: Well hay now, Nella! Dey's my wings n' I reckin I'sll fix 'em howsever I wantsta. N' when I'm done, I reckin' I'll take you for a air flight tooo.

Nella: Bubbly, I'm serious. You could get hurt. You could even die!

Bubbly: Nella, I's just a pig. I's a pig. 'N I knows what dat means, Nella. It means I's never'll be all school learned like Farmer Bill. But dat don't mean I cain't try! It don't mean I cain't try!...(breaks down with pig tears)

Nella: Bubbly, I...I didn't know how much it meant to you. You go on, Bubbly, you go on and you fly.

Bubbly: I will, Nella! Shoot! Whoo-eee!

LATER

Nella: I'm worried about Bubbly.

Wheelie the mouse: I know. I haven't seen him for weeks.

Nella: Do you think he tried to fly without us?

Wheelie: Well I don't know. Last time I saw him he was looking for some straw to glue on his wings.

Cut Scene

We see Bubbly being kidnapped by the villians in the movie Carrie.

End Cut Scene

Nella: Two weeks have passed and still no sign of Bubbly. I hope he's okay...

Wheelie: Maybe pigs just weren't meant to fly.

Nella: No, Wheelie, I think maybe they were...