Tuesday, August 07, 2007

MAN WHO CAN CONTROL ANIMALS

SCENE: A major urban city. A camping store.

REX: Hey Lazer! Maybe we should get this tent!

LAZER: We won't need a tent in the wilderness where WE'RE going. Just grab those two power bars and we'll get the hizzy out the dizzy.

REX: Lazer-- what about this warm jacket here?

LAZER: Listen to me, Rex: Get the damn power bars and get over here. I've already got everything else we need. See?

Rex is holding two armfuls of camping pornography.

REX: Cmon, Lazer-- camping porn? We don't need that stuff--

LAZER: YES WE DO!!!'

REX; Fine, let's go to the check out.

At the check out.

CHECK-OUT GIRL: You guys going camping?

LAZER: Obviously.

REX: Yeah-- we're headed up to Mount Danger for the weekend. Should be a blast.

CHECK OUT GIRL: This is a lot of camping porno for one weekend.

LAZER: Shut up, skank, and let us pay you.

REX: Rex, chill out!

LAZER: Don't take her side!

REX (to checkout girl): I'm sorry-- here, just take the money.

In a car going up a mountain road. Lazer is driving

LAZER: Hey, could you steer for a second-- I want to get a look at some of this camping pornography.

REX: Well, just pull over and I'll drive.

LAZER: Nobody drives this car but the Lazer.

REX: The roads are too curvey for me to steer, Laze.

LAZER: Fuck it then. I'll look at it later. Wait no-- you get it and hold it up so I can see it.

REX: Wasn't that the sign right there?

LAZER: No way, man. Now get that camping pornography.

The two guys hike through dense forest. Rex has a small backback, Lazer is carrying two armfuls of camping pornography.

LAZER: We're almost there, Rex.

REX: God, it's so beautiful up here.

LAZER: I know, man. That's why I love camping.

Nightfall on Rex and Lazer. Lazer is reading camping pornography in the fading light.

REX: Lazer, it's getting kind of cold. Should we build a fire or something?

LAZER: No man, we'll be fine. Shut up for a second while I read this.

REX: Cool.

SCENE: Morning. Rex and Lazer are both under piles of camping pornography magazines. They clearly almost froze during the night.

REX: Lazer-- the sun is up.

LAZER (groggily): Sweet, dude. Just give me a few more minutes with these magazines and we'll hit the trail.

REX: I think we ought to go now-- I'm starving.

LAZER: Grow up, Rex! We have all day to get down the trail. Eat a power bar.

REX: WE ARE OUT OF POWER BARS, LAZER. WE EACH HAD ONE YESTERDAY, REMEMBER.

LAZER: We'll then fucking man-up, loser. We'll be fine, and the longer you talk to me now the longer it will be before we leave.

REX: You're being a jerk.

LAZER: Christ.

A bear, drawn to the scent of camping pornography, comes out from behind a tree and disembowels Rex with one swipe of its claw.

REX: Oh god-- Lazer, run!

He dies. Lazer takes off into the bushes.

[Fellow screenplayers-- this is all the time I have left to write right now, but I really think this could be inspirational. I promise I'll write another entry where Lazer will learn a lot about him self and nature and the title "MAN WHO CAN CONTROL ANIMALS" makes more sense. Till later! ]

No comments: