Wednesday, November 21, 2007

DEADLY DAWN


1987.

Moscow.

A tall silver-haired general enters a secret room deep within the Kremlin. His chest is decorated with many medals, and he has a big scar across his cheek. There is a grim and experienced purpose in all his movements.

As he passes through the room we see that the table in the mysterious room is already full of high ranking Russian military officials. The general's eyes pass over them as he settles in his place at the head of the table.

General: I thank you for being here, comrades. I know you have all been busy. But I believe the recent announcement of the increase in the american military budget merits a re-examination of our current super secret anti-american projects. Commandant Strelnikov, please summarize your progress for the group.

Strelnikov: Things are not going well for our plan to install tracking devices on American warships, general. Whenever we get one in place the Americans seem to detect it immediately.

General: Hm. And you, Bratchenko?

Bratchenko: Our listening post at the American Embassy in Poland has been compromised. An analysis of the data received indicates they may have known about our microphones for years.

General: Bad news. I turn last to you, Drago. Perhaps you have some good news?

Drago: I certainly do, General. The prototype design for our underground digging and drilling machine, codenamed "Wolverine," is complete. All initial testing indicates performance far beyond our expectations.

General: Digging and Drilling? I'm not aware of any such--

Drago: So far the drill has been able to dig more than four miles a week through the deepest layers of the earths crust. Tunneling toward The United States has already begun, as has top secret production of more than a hundred of these "Wolverines." Within months they'll be dozens of them creeping beneath the earth with the great might of the soviet military behind them.

General: Very funny, Drago. I would have been informed of such a vast under--

Drago: Why don't you let me finish, General. Even as we speak the economic pillars that make up the external appearance of the Soviet Government are being undermined by our agents, our false democrats in East Berlin are pressing to have the wall come down, and our propagandists are spreading tales about the weakness and corruption of the USSR. It's only a matter of time before it appears we have utterly collapsed.

General:-And just what would this serve, Drago? How foolish!

Drago: Did you ever hear of the concept of "lulling someone into a false sense of security," General? The US Government will soon elect a democrat president, and I assure they'll make the mistake of lowering their military budget! Fools! All the while we'll be deep underground, creeping into their very hearts!

General: What a ridiculous idea. It's a good thing you don't possess the authority to waste time on such a mad fantasy.

Drago: I assure you I have plenty of authority, General. In fact I've had your job since the day we realized you were an american spy. Twenty years ago. Today.

Suddenly the general turns and runs for the door. It's locked. Drago draws a gun and approaches him.

GENERAL: Long live the red, white, and blue!

Drago shoots him and he collapses. He turns and holsters his gun.

DRAGO: Phase two begins today, gentlemen. Twenty-five years from this moment our armies will boil up from the ground and America will be ours, body and soul.

They all laugh and laugh and laugh. Fade to black.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't they run into lava? I thought it was possible at first and then I thought about lava. I think if the Russians tried to do this they would die because they wouldn't be able to live through the heat of lava. It would burn through their drills. I had Geology and studied this stuff and so I learned that it's not just volcanoes that have lava, it's the whole earth. There's lava underneath you right now. I think this could be a problem for your idea. Fun to read though!

Steeb said...

Good thinking, Barb. And you're right about there being giant underground warehouses full to bursting with nature's deadly spaghetti sauce: Lava. But what you don't know, and what I do and what will be explained during the second act of the movie, is that most of these "Lava warehouses" are already known to science. And the few that aren't are easily detectable with Edison's famous Lavometer. Using that tool you could travel all the way through the earth without getting stuck in regular lave more than a couple of times.

Of course I don't want to ruin anything, but I will say this: in the course of the movie millions of Russians die from Lava anyway. It's all thanks to a mysterious and scientifically unknown type of lava called "Dark Lava" that has different properties than your standard run of the mill Light Lava.